The Columbus Astronomical Society would like to reveal our new official logo! Our logo represents several items of interest:
- The constellations in the background show the sky around the constellation of Cassiopeia which is abbreviated as “CAS”.
- The round logo represents looking through an eyepiece through a telescope and focusing on the State of Ohio.
- The bottom of the state outline represents the dark foreground of trees and hills like what we see in the Hocking Hills. Our club has a long standing relationship with the Hocking Hills State Park.
- The “star” in the middle represents Columbus, OH, our home. It also is the location, in reference to the background constellations, of the strong radio source of Cassiopeia A.
- 1947 is the year of our founding.
- And finally, the gradient color of the state represents the twilight sky: the transition between night and day.