The CAS Annual Holiday Party and Awards Ceremony is set for Saturday, December 14th. Setup begins at 4 pm, and dinner at 6 pm. Members are asked to bring a dish to share, and the musically inclined are encouraged to bring their instruments. We will enjoy a festive feast, elect new officers and board members for 2020, acknowledge service to the Society, and the pièce de résistance: a round of Astro-Jeopardy, with our host Brad “Trebek” Hoehne (to whom resistance is futile).
To members: The planned outing at our dark sky site tomorrow evening has been cancelled due to consistent forecasts of bad weather. We hope to schedule another observing event in the summer.
Due to cloudy skies, the annual Messier Marathon has been cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience.
The Columbus Astronomical Society would like to reveal our new official logo! Our logo represents several items of interest:
- The constellations in the background show the sky around the constellation of Cassiopeia which is abbreviated as “CAS”.
- The round logo represents looking through an eyepiece through a telescope and focusing on the State of Ohio.
- The bottom of the state outline represents the dark foreground of trees and hills like what we see in the Hocking Hills. Our club has a long standing relationship with the Hocking Hills State Park.
- The “star” in the middle represents Columbus, OH, our home. It also is the location, in reference to the background constellations, of the strong radio source of Cassiopeia A.
- 1947 is the year of our founding.
- And finally, the gradient color of the state represents the twilight sky: the transition between night and day.